About this Course
Safety Development Units (SDU) Points: 40
This unit covers the evaluation of health effects due to hazardous substances. It will include the principles in occupational toxicology, epidemiology and other relevant information for the evaluation of the health effects caused by hazardous substances commonly found at the workplace.
This will enable learners to anticipate and identify chemical hazards, take necessary precautionary measures against hazardous substances present at the workplace, monitor chemical exposure, and initiate timely intervention actions when the health effects are being detected among persons at work.
On completion of this unit, the learner will have the knowledge and be equipped with the application skills in composing technical report and be able to apply them at the workplace.
- Recognise the health effects arising from occupational exposure to hazardous substances based on relevant basic toxicology concepts and sources of information.
- Analyse the factors which impact the extent of harmful effects on the body systems and target organs.
- Anticipate the risks and advise control measures to prevent ill-health effects due to exposure to hazardous substances at the workplace.
Participants will learn through a unique blend of group discussions, lecture and practical exercises.
- Health effects arising from occupational exposure to hazardous substances
- Hazardous substances
- Basic Toxicology concepts
- Relevant sources of information
- Legal and other requirements applicable to health effects of hazardous substances
- Factors which impact the extent of harmful effects
- Body systems
- Target organs
- Hazardous substances commonly found at workplace
- Hazardous substances in common Industrial Processes
- Hazardous substances in specific industry and sector
- Control of hazardous substances
- Relevant information on hazardous substances
- Toxicological information
- Epidemiological information
The minimum criteria are:
- ES WPLN Level 6, OR Grade C6 in GCE ‘O’ for English and Mathematics AND
- Grade C6 in GCE ‘O’ Level Science (Chemistry and Physics)
Preference will be given to candidates who have at least two years of working experience in any industry. Individuals considering the WSQ Specialist Diploma in OH should also be self-directed, passionate and committed to ethical practice in Occupational Hygiene, receptive to change in the light of new evidence, and possess an analytical mind and a meticulous approach to problemsolving.
This course is intended for:
- OH professionals such as OH Technicians
- WSH professionals such as WSH Officers
- Occupational health professionals such as occupational nurses and other occupational hygiene or occupational health professionals who are interested to learn about the health effects of common hazardous substances found at the workplace for the management of their risks
- /5 from users
- Course Provider COMAT TRAINING SERVICES PTE LTD
- Course Category Health
- Course Price $1070